6/9/10

Waiting... Packing... Waiting... Packing... (and thoughts on thrift stores)

Over the last few months I've been slowly purging items we don't need and sorting them into yardsale-ables and just trash. I've also taken the opportunity to pack items we are keeping but don't need at the moment in preparation for "THE BIG MOVE". Doing this kind of stuff just thrills me!!! I LOVE organizing and purging!!! It's sooooo rewarding!!! But now, I have this HUGE pile of crap waiting for the 19th of June when the annual main street yardsale will take place. I just love this event as I love yardsales and I love finding treasures for cheep!!! In fact, most of our possessions are either thrift store or yardsale finds! But even more than being exited to shop this year at the big yardsale, I cannot wait to get rid of my stuff!!! This will also be satisfying, not to mention rewarding for the savings account!!! For the annual yardsale you must book a table ahead of time and then show up early to pick your spot, pay your $20 fee and set up your stuff!!! Then around 9 (I think, or is it 8?) eager shoppers begin cruising the street up and down in search of treasures! The event goes until around noon. Last year I was mostly a shopper, but 2 years ago I split a table with a friend and made $180 profit!!! This year I couldn't split the table to save my life, I'll have trouble even having room for all of my own stuff!!! This is a picture of about 2/3 of out stuff!!! As you can see, it's a lot!
Speaking of thrift stores, both Nathan and I have realized that we would like to intentionally buy most of our stuff there, rather than purchase it new. For a few reasons:

~It saves butt loads of cash!!

~There are many stores and corporations who's practices and ethics we do not support.

~Nathan and I both realized that when we are shopping in malls or department stores etc. our attitude and perspectives change for the worse. At least for me, I am really affected by all the advertising and bombardment of media. A lot of women struggle with body image and self worth and I am not excluded here by any means. Also I find my attitude becomes more of "I need this... and this... and this..." or "I want this..." and I begin to find myself becoming more worldly and materialistic in my thinking. Don't get me wrong, I love stuff, and love buying nicknack's for my home that I don't necessarily "need", but there is a difference in being thrifty and decorating your home or dressing your family in creative ways, and adapting an attitude of wanting more and more and becoming too focused on worldly possessions. And since this is something I struggle with already, I have decided it is best to stay clear of malls and the like.

~It is just plain fun!!! I find it quite thrilling to search for items in thrift stores! It's like a challenge or a treasure hunt! And how satisfying when you come away with a bag of clothing or household stuff for a small fraction of the cost!!!

We have come to realize that most things; be it clothing, some furniture, household items, kitchen items; can be found at thrift stores if you are willing to search. And it opens up a whole new meaning to the word creative!!!  There are, of course, a few things we don't buy there, namely undergarments (that just gives me the heabie jeebies!!!) and typically jeans, as Nathan and I have rarely been successful at finding jeans that fit right at thrift stores. We typically buy good quality jeans that will last a long time, as we wear them, a lot!
WOW, all this talk of thrift stores has got me in the mood to go shopping!!! What can I say? I'm a woman!!!

1 comment:

  1. I would love to come to this "garage" sale! Although I would likely be tempted to buy half of your things, which would not help my clutter problem:)

    Summer staff are here, things are wild! You should be here!

    ReplyDelete